Put on your detective hat


 

There's something very satisfying about solving a (murder) mystery.

Does this appeal as much to you as it does to me?

Then read on to discover some original tips!

 

 

 

The last few weeks I've been on a mystery ride with several thrillers like:

 

Did you know that Ruth Ware also gives away a free short story on her website?

The title is 'We Will Be Watching' and you can receive it by subscribing to her newsletter here.


 

But today I especially want to spark your curiosity with my two latest mystery projects !

 

The first one is Whodunit Puzzles: Mysteries for the Super Sleuth to Solve by Tim Dedopulos.

 


Pit your wits against all manner of cunning criminals as you attempt to solve the fiendish mysteries within. As you put your skills of deduction and problem-solving to the test you'll be guided by three inimitable assistants, the insightful Inspector Parnacki, the curious Miss Mary Miller, and the persistent Joshua Cole.

 

Filled with gruesome murders these whodunits are not for the faint of heart. If you're a puzzle fan looking for a thrilling treat, or a mystery lover who fancies themselves a detective extraordinaire this is just the book for you.

 

 

So, if you consider yourself a perceptive armchair detective, put your thinking cap on and get ready to use all of your logic and wits as you enter the world of the whodunit!

 

The book is divided into two levels.

Level one comprises 39 stories of 3 pages each, while level two comprises 8 longer and apparently more difficult mysteries.

What's very nice in the e-book is that after each story there's a link on which you can click to go to the answer of only thΓ‘t story. This way you can't accidentally read the answers to the other stories.

Personally I read one or two stories from time to time to savour this original kind of short story mysteries and I'm almost halfway now.

Found all the answers so far, although I've got to admit that it's not always that easy.

But fun is guaranteed for those who like to put on their detective hat!

 

 

And then there's a book that will totally blow your mind …

 

Have you ever heard of Cain's Jawbone by Torquemada?

Lots of people are under the spell of these original 100 pages.

 

Six murders. One hundred pages. Millions of possible combinations... but only one is correct. Can you solve Torquemada's murder mystery?

In 1934, the Observer's cryptic crossword compiler, Edward Powys Mathers (aka Torquemada), released a novel that was simultaneously a murder mystery and the most fiendishly difficult literary puzzle ever written.

The pages have been printed in an entirely haphazard order, but it is possible - through logic and intelligent reading - to sort the pages into the only correct order, revealing six murder victims and their respective murderers.

Only two puzzlers have ever solved the mystery of Cain's Jawbone: do you have what it takes to join their ranks?

Please note: this puzzle is extremely difficult and not for the faint-hearted.

 


Here's my review:

 

Have I read this book or not? That's a trick question.

Did I read every word written on the 100 pages? Yes.

Do I know how the story goes? No.

 

Not so long ago I was joking around with a friend who writes fiction, by telling him it would be original if he wrote a book with the pages in a random order, so that the reader has to put them in the right order and puzzle the story together.

You can imagine my surprise when a few days after our conversation I stumbled upon Cain's Jawbone in which author Torquemada already did this, back in 1934!

 

Torquemada is the pseudonym of Edward Powys Mathers (1892-1939).

This nom de plume was linked to the Spanish Inquisition, because Edward believed that puzzles should be mind-bendingly difficult but equally rewarding when the solution was found.

 

He introduced the cryptic crossword to England in 1924 through the pages of the Observer newspaper and in 1934 a selection of his puzzles was published by Gollancz under the title The Torquemada Puzzle Book.

This contained difficult crosswords, spooneristics, verbal games, telacrostics, triple cricket acrostics, anagrams and - in the final 100 pages - Cain's Jawbone (which refers to the first recorded murder weapon).

A prize of £15 was offered to the first reader who could re-order the pages and provide an account of the 6 persons murdered in Cain's Jawbone and the full names of their murderers.

In 1935 two people - Mr. S. Sydney-Turner and Mr. W.S. Kennedy - succeeded to find the solution to this puzzle with millions of possible combinations of pages, but with only one correct order.

 

In the subsequent years the answer to this mystery book was thought to have been lost.
That is until Shandy Hall, an independent literary museum in the UK operated by the Laurence Sterne Trust, received a donation of The Torquemada Puzzle Book.

It came from Geoffrey Day, who is a Trustee of the Laurence Sterne Trust and a Sterne scholar. He had had the book for years but had not been able to solve the puzzle.

Shandy Hall curator Patrick Wildgust gave it a shot, but finding the right answer proved difficult. So he put out a call in The Guardian, which brought him in contact with John Price. The latter had become obsessed with discovering the solution to Cain's Jawbone after coming across a second hand copy. In 1988, he appealed for information in the pages of the magazine run by the national Crossword Club. Amazingly, he received an answer that came 'from an elderly gentleman who lived in a nursing home in Nether Wallop,' who solved the problem in the 30s and even had a written congratulation from Torquemada. Finally, the only correct solution was found again!

 

Patrick Wildgust then collaborated with the crowdfunding publisher Unbound to re-issue the novel in the fall of 2019, with new artwork by Scottish cartoonist Tom Gauld.

This re-edition consisted of a box with 100 cards. The publisher offered a reward of £ 1.000 to anyone who could solve it.

Throughout the course of the next few months, twelve people submitted their responses.

Only the one of John Finnemore, a British comedy writer and crossword setter, held the correct answer. The funny thing is that he told The Guardian: “The first time I opened the box, I swiftly concluded that it was way out of my league, and the only way I’d even have a shot at it was if I were for some bizarre reason trapped in my own home for months on end, with nowhere to go and no one to see.”
And then there was COVID-19 and the pandemic quarantine. It took him four months to solve the puzzle.

 

In February 2021 a paperback edition was released.

Apparently a TikTokker named Scannell posted a video about this original book, the post went viral and lots of people wanted to try their luck.

To meet the startling surge in demand, Unbound printed 10.000 additional copies in November and announced an additional 70.000-copy print run early December.

There’s also a new competition: everyone who submits a correct answer before December 31, 2022, will receive a £250 /$350 credit to spend supporting other book projects at unbound.com.

 

Yours truly decided to put on her detective hat and is now totally hooked!

Having bought the paperback a few weeks ago, I discovered yesterday that there's also an e-book version available now (apparently since this month).

With both versions within easy reach, I'm now able to fully immerse myself in this original murder mystery.

There are lots of literary and historical references, each of which could either be an important clue or simply a red herring.

It's so much fun to find out what these words or sentences are refering to!

Already learned so much in just one day, that - even if I don't find the correct final answer - I'm sure the coming months will provide a very gratifying experience.

Or as they say: it's all about the journey, not the destination.

Although I wouldn't mind to solve this brain teaser πŸ˜„

 

Part of the background info about Torquemada and his work is already covered in this review.

But if you want to know even more and/or read about interesting references I can totally recommend following articles:

- https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/crossword-blog/2017/oct/30/crossword-blog-a-vintage-mystery-with-a-bizarre-twist

- https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/653534/cains-jawbone-book-puzzle

 

 

In 2017 this title was placed on the website of crowdfunding publisher Unbound by the people of Shandy Hall.

The first re-edition came out in the form of a box with each page printed on a separate card. Here's the short presentation of this idea:




 

As the crowdfunding was successful, the book has been republished a second time.

But now as a paperback with a dotted line on the left of each page. So that you can cut the pages out and puzzle them together in the right order. That's the one I bought not so long ago.

Yesterday I found out that since July there's also an e-book version available! So I bought that one too, as it's easier to look up certain things. Because I often remember having read specific words or phrases, but it's not always easy to find them back immediately in a paper book.

 

Several videos on Youtube, TikTok, … seem to prove that once you're bitten by the Torquemada mystery bug, you're hooked.

Be aware that some people claim to have found (a part of) the answer. But this doesn't seem to be very likely, as it would've been made public if their answer was totally correct.

Personally, I decided not to watch those videos, as I want to make up my own opinion.

 

Due to circumstances I haven't had a lot of time yet to take my magnifying glass and put on my detective hat.

But with the e-book version in my possession now, I'll try to spend at least 10 minutes every day to come closer to the answer.

My initial thoughts (looking at the end and beginning of the pages, looking up poems that are split across two pages, …) are probably the things most people think of.

But even though they already give some small hints, they're absolutely not enough to put these 100 pages in the right order and to discover who the 6 murder victims are and by whom they were murdered.

So I'll definitely have to dig a whole lot more to solve this fascinating mystery.

The clock is ticking and there are a bit more than 5 months left.

Because the deadline (what's in a name?) set by Unbound is the 31st of December 2022.

Are you enticed to pick up the gauntlet too?

 

12 comments:

  1. Ok, Tau, obviously this willl be a time consuming piece to read and I am currently still at work and will be on the road for the next 24 hours. So I will give this article the attention it rightfully deserves come friday. I cannot guarantee, however, that I'll click on Hepworth's The Mother-in-Law. You see, I have a mother-in-law of my own and therefore know everything there is to know about the breed. What is worse, it is like looking in the mirror of some distant but very realistic future, knowing what your own wife will look like in 30 years' time and how she will be treating you by then.

    And may I add how delighted I am that you resumed writing and publishing on your blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to hurry, Bohse!
      You had to wait three months before I posted a new article, so now I can wait a few days too πŸ˜„

      Normally articles will follow on a more regular basis now.
      I've got lots of ideas and material waiting to be written about πŸ˜‰
      There could be one problem though ...
      Should you decide to join me in my quest for the murderers in Cain's Jawbone, you'll have even less time to read my time consuming pieces because you'll be totally absorbed by that mystery πŸ˜‹

      The Mother-in-Law was one of the better thrillers I've read lately, along with Big Little Lies.
      But Lucy Foley definitely became a "no-no" for me (which means I tried 2 of her books which didn't convince me and thus I won't read anything of this author anymore).

      You'll probably be even more delighted by the original things I want to show you!

      Delete
  2. Ah, Torquemada's Cain's Jawbone. I remember it all too well. I was a young lad back then, maybe thirteen, fourteen years old when my aunt submitted that literary puzzle to me. It was a dark and grey sunday afternoon, I wasn't going anywhere that day, so I had a few moments to spare. Took me about 4 hours to solve the whole thing, reading time included. Of course, I never bothered to submit the solution to claim the prize. I distinctly remember thinking: "Why spoil it for the simple folk? Let my lessers have their cake too, you know? Bad form to deprive them of their amusement, right?

    On a more realistic note, Tau: haven't you got enough on your plate as it is? I read somewhere in your article that it took this comedy guy four whole months to solve the thing? I wouldn't even bother getting started. Anyway, this puzzle was new to me and it's a fascinating story. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I've got to congratulate you, Bohse!
      As you've already had (more than) 100 candles on your birthday cake.
      That was an illuminating experience, I guess? πŸ˜„

      Well, I'm keeping my answer very simple.
      If it was a piece of cake back when you were young, it must be even easier now that you're old(er) and wise(r).
      So, why don't you just join me and solve this puzzle (again)?
      I challenge you πŸ˜‹

      And yes, my plate is already quite full.
      But it's just so addictive.
      You know, those 10 minutes per day I talked about?
      Well, that was a miscalculation.
      Because once I start, there's no way I can limit myself to only 10 minutes.
      It's just too much fun to discover all these references πŸ˜‰

      Delete
    2. Ah, yes, Tau, but you see, my time is extremely invaluable. I'd be happy to oblige and help you out, but I'd solve the whole thing in 5 minutes tops. Now where would be the fun in that? Moreover, it would be an extremely humiliating experience for you, would it not? No no, best to leave these things entirely in your hands. If you solve the puzzle and win some prize money, I'd be happy to share, though.

      Delete
    3. So, if I understand correctly, spending 5 minutes of your time would help me save hours or even days of work?
      What are you waiting for, Bohse?
      Because you dΓ³ realize what that means, don't you?
      More free time = more time for your marketing manager to spend on your publicity πŸ˜‹

      Delete
    4. Yes, erm, right. Hadn't thought of that, frankfully. Sometimes I would do well to just shut up, it would seem.

      Delete
    5. Ah, but that's why you have me!
      I'm like your conscience, your second brain (maybe you can leave out that 'second'), ... πŸ˜‹

      Delete
  3. Liane Moriarty ... what a perfect pseudonym (at least I hope it is), for someone writing detectives.
    I like these type of puzzles.
    Thx for the extensive list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a pseudonym, Joseph, although I agree it would be a good one πŸ˜„
      Did you know she also has two writing sisters, Jaclyn and Nicola?
      So you can see books by each of the Moriarty sisters on book shelves in shops and libraries.
      But Liane is the most famous one, as she wrote lots of bestsellers like Big Little Lies and The Husband's Secret (which I liked too btw).

      The books are a bit different from each other, so you might like to read my (short) reviews to compare them.
      By the way are you tempted to try your luck at Cain's Jawbone? πŸ˜‰

      Delete
    2. On a different note, Tau, it strikes me that the four books you mentioned are all written by women. In general, there seem to be more female than male authors writing in this genre. Coincidence or not?

      Delete
    3. Pure coincidence, Bohse πŸ˜‡

      Delete